About Women on Bikes California
Women on Bikes SoCal marries traditional active living advocacy with a
dynamic and evolving new media communications platform via our website
and social media outreach. We are a program of the non profit bicycle
advocacy organization Bikeable Communities.
To encourage, engage and empower women of all ages, races and walks
of life in the Southern California region in the joy, benefits and
beauty of all types of bicycling, and to help double the number of women and girls
actively riding bikes here within 2017.
- Normalizing and advocating for a bike-friendly life for women,
girls and their families via fun, fashion forward events and both new
media and traditional media outreach that positively promote the
benefits of bicycling to a broad and diverse population.
- Offering community bike rides with a twist - including architectural
design and historical tours, and themed rides (foodie tours,
neighborhood tours, bikes books & beauty etc.) with a focus on
shorter rides (most under 5-8 miles) to be an easy accomplishment for
almost all levels of riders.
- Creating engaging, dynamic and popular new and traditional media content that serve as a valuable training platform for women from diverse
backgrounds and age groups to become strong and positive voices for
both bicycling and active living advocacy.
- Offering "Street Savvy" adult bicycle safety classes in collaborion
with bike shops that are affordable and time consciouswith an emphasis
on fundraising to bring these classes at no cost to underserved
- Offering adult bicycle safety instructor training for women interested in teaching.
- Building community and connectivity with an active and inspired membership.
- Focusing energy, attention and presentation and media skills training on the next generation of female advocates.
- Encouraging women and girls throughout the state and the country to found their own "Women on Bikes" clubs and organizations.