Your Contributions Help Us Build the Pedal Love Digital Communications Guide & Continue Our Media Outreach to Create More Civil Streets Conversations
Pedal Love: Cultivating Civil Streets Conversations for California will be a comprehensive online communications guide and resource platform to facilitate respectful, accurate and effective coverage and civic engagement on bicycling, walking and transit use in California. Our emphasis will be on the specific needs and opportunities of/for women, young adults, and under-served communities, especially those for whom bicycling, walking and taking transit is a need rather than a luxury.
The call for such a guide stems from the rapid growth of bicycling in our state and beyond, and our dismay over the media’s often very adversarial “car vs. bike” tone in its coverage. Even some of the most seasoned journalists and media outlets have jumped into creating controversy rather than comprehension in their coverage. On February 15, 2014 there are 714 listed news stories on Google with "Car vs. Bike" in the title. Those who drive cars and those who ride bikes are not at war.
It's time to humanize the topic of transportation. We're all people first rather than drivers, bicyclists or pedestrians.
- To see why the timing is right for such a guide read this excellent piece "Why Bikes Make Smart People Say Dumb Things" by Carl Alviani on Scott Simon of NPR's bike-negative Twitter outburst and "9 Things Drivers Need to Stop Saying in the Car vs. Bike Debate" by Adam Mann on Wired.
- To learn about the powerful effectiveness of simply changing our language in our community and media outreach read The Green Lane Project's "How Smart Language Helped Seattle's Paralyzing Bike Lash."
- Out of Sweden comes a very different and effective mindset to creating safer roads - it's called the Vision Zero initiative. Cities and states across the U.S. are adopting it. Please read about it here: http://www.visionzeroinitiative.com/.
What we've completed of Phase I of the guide:
- Pre-guide surveys to advocates, journalists, and the public - see the results of our first media survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-ZDP9NZCV/.
- Plain language survey #1 "Let's Talk About Our Streets" - find the survey here: https://docs.google.com/a/calbike.org/forms/d/1OOXrzMXd7iAGLlaEBhSnoFFbD7P6FuDr05wCLlXjcgQ/viewform
- Hosting four Media + Marketing Love webinars. You can find all of our videos for the webinars here: http://www.pedallove.org/our-webinar-videos/.
- Expanding our media list to 500+ contacts (Done! We're ahead of schedule and keep growing it).
What we're working on Phase I of the guide for spring/summer 2015:
- Collecting/sharing the results of our first plain language survey "Let's Talk About Our Streets."
- Releasing our plain language survey #2
- Pitching key leaders/trendsetters in both California and the nation to regional and national media for Bike Month May 2015, as well as for this summer and holiday season - in process.
- Collecting/preparing a data base of bike-friendly female leaders across the state who are interested in growing the civil streets conversation.
- Collecting "key word' and "key phrases" data - so that we can ascertain the language we most want to see modified for more positive coverage
- Writing and posting Phase I of the media guide.
Phase II of the guide is to host a series of forums for "Creating Civil Streets Conversations" across California
- We'll be looking to host these as both live and online forums in collaboration with radio stations and other news outlets, universities, community colleges, and organizations passionate about creating more peaceful and vibrant city streets for everyone. Is that you? Get in touch! Contact Melissa Balmer at (562) 612-0197 or email Melissa@pedalove.org.
Personal Donation/Sponsorship Levels - to donate click the button at the top of the page
- $12.00 (Basic Annual Subscription)
- $25.00 (sponsor our Mail Chimp service for one month at the 2,500 subscriber level - you will be thanked in our emailer!)
- $50.00 (sponsor our Tweets for one day - 5 tweets + you will be thanked on Twitter)
- $135.00 (sponsor our Sound Cloud account for the entire year - this will allow us to post all of our Pedal Love podcasts onto this service which makes it sound great and very easily sharable online - you will be thanked online in our SoundCloud account)
- $300 (sponsor one of our Pedal Love segments on one of our monthly Pedal Love podcast on BikeTalk - you will be thanked on that segment on the show)
Corporate Sponsorship Levels - to sponsor click the button at the top of the page
- $200 (sponsor one of our bi-monthly emailers 1x - your logo or name and a direct link will be included in this emailer - our emailers go out to 2,500)
- $500 (sponsor one of our Media Love media skills webinars - your logo or name and a direct link will be included on the web page for that webinar and in our outreach).
- $700 (sponsor one of our Pedal Love digital media guide's webinar forums - your logo or name and a direct link will be included on the web page for that webinar and in our outreach)
- $1,000.00 (sponsor one of our Attracting More Women to Bicycling marketing + media webinars - your logo or name and a direct link will be included on the web page for that webinar and in our outreach)
- $1,500 (sponsor an entire Pedal Love podcast for one month - your logo or name and a direct link will be included on our web page for the podcast and during the show. This show will be on Bike Talk on KPFK's radio podcast which receives 10,000 downloads per month)
- $3,000 (sponsor the Pedal Love digital media guide for one month starting in January 2015 - your logo banner and direct link will be included on the front page of our website and on the pages of the digital media guide, in our email newsletters for that month, and in social media outreach)
You can safely and easily donate online via Stripe (no account creation necessary) by clicking on the buttons at the top of the page.
- As an initiative of the California Bicycle Coalition your donations to Women on Bikes California are tax deductible.
- Donations made by check should be made out to "California Bicycle Coalition Education Fund" and mailed to Melissa Balmer, 1152 E. 1st St. #304, Long Beach CA 90802.