Date: April 18, 2013
Contact: Melissa Balmer/Director Pedal Love/Women on Bikes California
Tel. (562) 221-9672 Email: Melissa@pedallove.org
Re: Who is SoCal's Most “Stylish by Bike?” Both Vintage and Modern Looks Invited to Compete at Bike Fest on Saturday May 3rd for Great Prizes!
Note: Excellent print and web quality promotional images available upon request
Long Beach CA – To celebrate May as National Bike Month the Downtown Long Beach Associate’s (DLBA) host their annual Bike Fest Saturday May 3rd from 2:00 pm to 11:00 pm. This year the event will be hosted in the charming historic East Village Arts District. One of the first four “Bike Friendly Business Districts” in the nation, the East Village is home to some of the city’s best modern and vintage apparel boutiques, the very popular City Grounds bike shop, and great wining and dining experiences.
This year Bike Fest celebrates Long Beach’s growing bike-friendliness with brand new fun such as the “Shoreline Crit” featuring Wolfpack Hustle, Gold Sprints by City Grounds and the 1897 Boutique, and a City Cross obstacle course created by Bikeable Communities. And of course the popular vendor village and not to miss “Beachwood & Friends” craft beer garden will be included!
For the bike-friendly hipsters and vintage aficionados Bike Fest will host the perfect showcase for their favorite bike + fashion ensembles to discover just who is SoCal's most “Stylish by Bike.” To both honor bicycling's passion for all things vintage and the hot modern urban bike scene Bike Fest will host prize winning categories for:
- Eleven vintage bike trophy categories (judging on bikes only)
- Best vintage bike + vintage inspired fashion look for her will win a European bike bell courtesy of Cycle Chic Republic
- Best vintage bike + vintage inspired fashion look for him will win a great prize to be announced
- Best modern "Streetstyle by Bike" bike + fashion look for her - winner of this category receives a European bike bell courtesy of Cycle Chic Republic
- Best modern "Streetstyle by Bike" bike + fashion look for him will win a custom leather belt from The Academy Long Beach
- Grand prize vintage bike “People’s Choice” will win a new “Up Cycle Bag” courtesy of Yellow 108
- Grand Prize Winner "Most Stylish by Bike" Female - both vintage and modern bikes & fashion looks can enter + wins a set of "Isn't She Lovely" panniers courtesy of Cycle Chic Republic.
- Grand Prize Winner "Most Stylish by Bike" Male - both vintage and modern bikes & fashion looks can enter + wins a "Harrison" briefcase courtesy of Linus Bikes.
But that’s not all of the ways to win! There are “hers” and “his” prizes for the girl and the guy who help get the word out about the contest to their friends and refer the most people to enter! Follow the social media conversation with the hashtags #BikeFestLBC, #VintagebyBike and #StylishbyBike and stay tuned for more details!
Here are the Stylish by Bike timeline contest details:
- 2:00 pm registration opens - $5.00 per category, both cash and credit cards will be accepted
- 2:30 pm "Vintage" bike and “Stylish by Bike” contestants parade through the open “Shoreline Crit” course
- 3:00 pm bikes displayed on Linden Ave.
- 5:00 pm judging
- 6:00 pm winners announced from stage!
For more details on Bike Fest click here. For all of the details on the “Stylish by Bike” contests please go to: http://www.pedallove.org/events-stylish-by-bike-at-bike-fest-2014/ or call “Stylish by Bike” contest coordinator Melissa Balmer at (562) 612-0197 cell (562) 221-9672 or email Melissa@pedallove.org.
About the DLBA
The Downtown Long Beach Associates is a non-profit organization operating on behalf of the property owners and tenants of the Business Improvement District. It is dedicated to the management, marketing, security, maintenance, advocacy, and economic and community development of the assessment districts in cooperation with the City of Long Beach and the private sector. For additional information, please see www.downtownlongbeach.org.
About Women on Bikes California & Pedal Love
An initiative of the California Bicycle Coalition, the mission of Women on Bikes California focuses on the bike as a tool for optimism in the lives of women. We work to engage, connect and cultivate opportunity for women of all ages, races and walks of life interested in bicycling, active living advocacy and bike-related/bike-friendly industries. Key to our strategy is elevating the voice of women passionate about bicycling via engaging storytelling and proactive media outreach through our “Pedal Love” project website and our series of “Active Living Plugged In” trainings. Learn more about us at www.PedalLove.org.