The Surprising Promise of Bicycling in America Book
by Jay Walljasper and Melissa Balmer
In October of 2017 we released the digital report "The Surprising Promise of Bicycling in America." You can download it for free here. Or find excerpts from the book below. Are you a member of the media? Find our contact details here.
Update: April 30, 2018
The book and an accompanying coloring book will be released this fall!
The book will be available for both wholesale and retail.
The book now includes:
I. Bicycling for Everyone
II. The Rise of the Modern Bike Movement
III. A Vision for 21-Century Biking
IV. 13 Reasons Bicycling will Continue
- 1 - Equity & Social Justice
- 2 - The Rise of Safe Routes to School
- 3 - The Increase of Women in Bike Advocacy Leadership
- 4 - Women as Influencers (new!)
- 5 - Connected Bikeways Networks
- 6 - Bikeshare
- 7 - Rising Awareness that Biking is Healthy
- 8 - Electric Bikes
- 9 - Biking Fosters Vital Communities
- 10 - Widening Influence of Grassroots Groups
- 11 - Curbing Climate Change
- 12 - Emerging Influence of Bike Planning & Advocacy as Professions
- 13 - Innovation & the Evolution of Mobility (new!)
V. The Bright Future Ahead
Why is This Book Needed?
The bike can be can be a bright hope and part of a smart revolution amidst the daunting challenges we face today: environmental devastation, social inequity in transportation, economic disinvestment in poor communities, traffic congestion, and an epidemic of Americans who are dangerously inactive. These problems need to be at the table as we discuss our future, bikes need to be understood as part of the solution. We want this to happen. Don't you?
Can you picture bicycling for everyone as a topic of conversation at TED Global, SXSW, the Aspen Ideas Festival, Wisdom 2.0, the Women of the World summit and more?
We can! This book will tell that story AND help bicycling move into top of mind awareness for important sustainability conversations.
Author Jay Walljasper is a writer, speaker and consultant specializing in how to create stronger, greener, friendlier communities. His books include The Great Neighborhood book: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Placemaking and America’s Walking Renaissance. A long-time journalist, he was editor of Utne Reader magazine for many years (during which it was nominated three times for a National Magazine Award for General Excellence) and a contributing editor of National Geographic Traveler, focusing on sustainable cities. Learn more at JayWalljasper.com.
Melissa Balmer is the Founder/Editor of PedalLove.org, focusing on thought leadership and storytelling tools to grow more active, sustainable, mindful mobility. As the former Media Director of the California Bicycle Coalition, and a media relations specialist, she has placed her clients and the Pedal Love team in media outlets such as the Associated Press, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Public Radio International's "Living on Earth," Reuters, Sierra Club Magazine and more
The Pedal Love Culture & Lifestyle Council was launched in 2016 as the first of its kind leadership and storytelling lab, a growing network of female leaders in biking advocacy, bikes for sustainability, and bicycle entrepreneurship across the U.S. Read about the growing list of women here: pedallove.org/meet-the-pedal-love-culture-lifestyle-council/
Thank You to Our Supporters!
- Theresa Bixby - Long Beach CA
- Anne Poarch/Basket and Bike - Richmond VA
- The Bluezones Project - Minneapolis MN
- The Bike Doctor Bike Shop - Vancouver Canada
- David Morris - Long Beach CA
- Katherine Roberts/GrrrlFriday - San Francisco CA
- Harriet Barlow - Minneapolis MN
- John Case - Oceanside CA
- Theodore Hanson - Williamsburg VA
- Allan Crawford - Long Beach CA
- Bikie Girl Bloomers - Los Angeles CA
- Maria Boustead/Po Campo Bags - Brooklyn NY
- Beth Nobles - Denver CO
- Gene Tierney
- Hallie Smith - Richmond VA
- Laura Doyle - Long Beach CA
- Monica Garrison/Black Girls Do Bike - Verona PA
- Neal Peirce - Washington DC
- Tom Gliszewski - Chicago IL
- David Clement - Long Beach CA
- Jamie Morgan - Coeur d'Alene ID
- Melanie Curry - Berkeley CA
- Ethan Fawley
- Henry Hsieh
- Sheldon Mains
- Stephen Haydel
- T Fisher
- Deana Acklin
- Daniela Rindler
- Diane Buchwalder
- Ernestine Beecham
- Mark Muller
- Daisy Smith
- Sara Sundquist
- Sharon Pearson
- Donna Harrington
- Krista Phillips
- Kyle Lawrence
- Sunil Khera
Excerpts from the Book!
Would you like to support the creation of the book? Send Melissa a note.